Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Duck Egg Blue...drool....

Hi Guys!
O.K. So today SL hubby & I, had a great time playin' with Annie Sloans chalk paint! We got up early and headed down to old Tustin to "Truly Tatterd" shop and grabbed 2 cans. One in "Cream" and the other in "Duck egg blue"  After slipping DH his Nitroglycerin pill @ the register for the mini coronary he endured over the price...($38.00 a QUART!) we were ready to head home! All smiles (Insert rambling chit chat all the way home...Trying to divert the pain, of the loss of 82.00 bucks for paint) LOL. Well, seeing as how this was our first time playing with chalk paint, we opted to test it out on a small piece that we had in our stash. A cute little students size desk that was pretty plain jane when I found it on Craigslist for ten dollars. 
Now, the beauty of this paint is that it alleviates the steps of sanding and priming! LURVE that! So we drug this bad boy on outside and got busy! 
(Oh.. This is DH newest gardening hat...don't ask...)Anywho! So we crack open the can, & commence to pour some into our small painting tray.As DH is pouring I am underneath the tray with my hand...Protecting this damn paint as if it were breast milk! Now, another big whoop for this paint is that apparently, it is supposed to last and last and you shouldn't have to buy another can until...the next ICE AGE! Supposedly. hhump. We. Shall. See.
So we have it in the tray, DH has got the good "Purdy" brushes and he dips the brush, clears the excess, Places the brush on the table and drags the brush oh, so gingerly and eeeekk. Stop. nothing....huh? what's wrong? How come you aren't pulling the brush any further? Come on', quit jokin'...Uh. No. No joke. This stuff isn't budging! Oh LORD. What did I just have him buy??? (I'm never gonna' hear the end of this!) Seriously, he dipped the brush and was able to drag it maybe 8 inches or so across and that was it! uggh. great!  We continue to painstakingly painting the top, and a leg and then a ton of bricks hit me, I remember! This stuff is water based and on the site it says that you can water it down for a thinner application..Yeah, cuz this stuff is goin' on like cake batter! I add a cap full of water from my water bottle and mix it..He dips the brush, applies it to the table drags it..and VOILE! HALLELUJAH! The heavens opened, and purple unicorns blew glitter farts and danced all around my desk! 
See. See how his tail is raised? He's blessin' me RIGHT NOW!


YES! Success. This stuff went on LIKE A CHAMP!! Smooth, like melted butter...and the opacity! yoowza! Water?... What water? The water didn't make it too watery, it didn't make it a wash..nothing! It made it MAGIC! NOW, I understand the cult following that Ms. Annie has acquired...She is a frggin' genius.No sanding, no priming! That takes all the boring poopy steps out and allows you to just get down to the fun stuff, creating shabby awesomeness! We finished the piece with a paste hand wax and put her up on Etsy. 






She sold within 2 weeks and we can't wait to start on more...I have some super cute ideas for a couple of new victims treasures I found..Can't wait to share.

Glitter Kisses!~
Meliss

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my lamp. Your little table turned out cute. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks very pretty, I am glad your husband survived the shock of the cost. My husband is nowhere NEAR ready for Annie Sloan paint. Sigh.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi @ Making It Homey said... Oh, I love your post! I laughed because your experience with the chalk paint was exactly like my first time using it. It turned out beautiful and it's not plain anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh it is so cute! love the two toned beachy look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not tried that paint yet, guess I have to break down and fork out the dough.

    Your blog is really cute and it was a fune read:) I am now following you!

    I have a party for new bloggers and would love for you to bring that on over to share :)

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    www.bunnyjeansdecorandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the message Doll face!